Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
- SMRU Consulting
- Preferably located in our downtown Vancouver BC, Canada office but possible in our Friday Harbor, WA, USA office
Companies, investors and government entities around the world turn to SMRU Consulting (SMRUC) when conventional approaches to solving marine problems are not enough to activate change and achieve results.
SMRU Consulting is a world leading marine mammal consultancy with an unrivalled reputation for providing innovative, robust, and environmentally sound solutions for clients active in the marine environment. SMRUC is owned by the University of St Andrews, with offices in Scotland, Vancouver BC, Hong Kong and Friday Harbor, WA (2 hours north of Seattle). Our senior professionals are experienced scientists, world-class consultants and veterans of working across all marine sectors from wet renewables, civil engineering, infrastructure, oil and gas and decommissioning to government, defence, and scientific research and development. They can draw upon the firm’s rich experience to help customers understand, assess and mitigate the potential risks facing their projects. Many of the projects are linked to understanding and mitigating the impacts of man-made noise on marine mammals.
When practical, robust, cost -effective advice is required, find us at www.smruconsulting.com
This is a fantastic opportunity to join SMRUC’s growing consulting business.
If you are a senior acoustician looking for a ‘hands on’, scientific and entrepreneurial environment where you can really make a difference then SMRUC may be the place to develop your career. You will work both independently and with a small team.
We work with multi-national companies, government agencies, NGO’s and universities on a global basis. We pride ourselves on listening to our clients, understanding their projects and combining intelligent solutions to preserve and generate value for our client’s businesses. Our goal is to reduce the environmental risks facing our clients at pre-consenting through to post implementation monitoring and reporting, using robust science-driven evidence. Many of the projects we work on are linked to understanding and mitigating the impacts of man-made noise on marine mammals, a stimulating and growing field of marine mammal science. Our projects use a range of hardware from cabled hydrophones, to C-PODs, AMARs and Soundtraps to animal-borne acoustic tags. We also develop and use our own acoustic hardware/software, specifically Coastal Acoustic Buoys (CAB http://www.smruconsulting.com/products-tools/cab/). To this end, we are seeking talented, open minded, adaptable recruits who are interested in further developing their careers in a fast moving, high profile space. The opportunity offers considerable project variety including working on mitigating offshore wind projects using newly developed CABs to monitor North Atlantic Right Whales and construction noise in the Atlantic, working with the Port of Vancouver’s ECHO team (the Enhancing Cetacean Habitat and Observation Program, https://www.portvancouver.com/environment/water-land-wildlife/echo-program/), an initiative aimed at better understanding and managing the impact of shipping activities on killer whales along the southern coast of B.C., as well as studies assessing the effects of tidal turbine noise on harbour porpoise.
• Support colleagues in the delivery of client projects by providing expert technical knowledge and practical expertise in marine mammal science
• Lead business development activities including the creation of client pitches, tenders and proposals to win new mandates
• Grow to eventually mange current cross-functional team on a day to day basis
• Build relationships with external clients, regulators and government agencies
• Set strategic direction and develop company to the next stage of its growth
The ideal applicant must be
• Educated to Doctorate level or equivalent qualification in acoustics, biology, oceanography or other relevant discipline
• Strong computational/ analytical experience including some combination of:
▪ Bioacoustics analyses of passive acoustic monitoring data
▪ Acoustic propagation modelling
▪ Analyses of large datasets
• Competent using data analytical software and developing own code (R software, MATLAB, PAMguard)
• Field-based data collection experience of working with a range of practical techniques (acoustic deployments, visual surveys, etc.)
• Experience of practical fieldwork (boat handling, deployment of equipment, survey techniques, working in remote locations)
• Naturally curious, a problem solver with a “can do” mind-set and hands on approach
• Proven project management experience
• Experience of bidding/tendering for external opportunities and ability to demonstrate strong commercial awareness
In addition to the skills and qualities detailed above, the desired candidate will also demonstrate the following attributes;
• Ability to set strategic direction but also complete detail-oriented tasks
• Ability to ‘think on your feet,’ multi-task and balance a range of projects, priorities and responsibilities
• A focus on quality and attention to detail with strong problem solving and analytical skills
• Pragmatic negotiator and influencer while remaining independent and objective
• Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
• Strong leadership skills, this role will eventually manage several staff across locations
• Unbiased, fact-based approach to problem solving
Lifestyle and values
Attracted by our merit-based culture and the opportunity to build a business with like-minded people, our employees have joined SMRUC from universities, government and other large marine consulting companies. SMRUC is an outcome focused business founded on the values of integrity, professionalism, quality and scientific and technical expertise
Our people have built their credentials through careers that combine experience in education, government regulatory and professional services. SMRUC has a proven track record of managing complex, high profile situations and delivery through world class expertise and excellence in execution. The values of the business which include integrity and fun as well as just reward for great work comes to life when you become part of the team.
Please send us a covering letter telling us why you would be a great hire together with a copy of your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is SMRUC’s policy to provide and promote equal opportunity in employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination because of race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, pregnancy, marital status, family status, religion, national origin, age or disability or any other non-merit based factor in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per SMRUC policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that SMRUC will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.