Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories
Location: Geneva, IL
Alion Job Opening ID: 31436
Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories is a NVLAP accredited ISO 17025 laboratory serving a great variety of customers in the global architectural, industrial and aerospace industries. We seek to hire an Acoustical Test Engineer whom will help RAL continue to operate at the forefront of acoustical science and materials testing. Both experienced and entry-level applicants are invited to apply. Alion offers a competitive pay and benefits package with opportunities for advancement.
The Test Engineer will fulfill the following responsibilities for Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories:
1. Conduct unique research and analysis projects for RAL, our customers, and the acoustics community.
2. Write formal test reports for RAL test procedures in conformity with international test standards and the RAL Quality Management System.
3. Perform acoustical test procedures in conformance with the relevant national or international test standards and the RAL Quality Management System. Specifically:
a. Field sound transmission measurements according to ASTM E336 and E1007
b. Impedance tube acoustical measurements according to ASTM E1050, ISO 10534-2, ASTM E2611
c. Sound power measurements and reference sound source calibrations according to ANSI S12.51 and S12.5.
d. Other new standardized test procedures.
4. Develop Standard Operating Procedures according to the latest ASTM, ISO and ANSI standards
5. Provide engineering support for RAL and our customers by developing customized test plans and performing non-standard acoustical measurement procedures.
6. On occasion, assist the lab experimentalist team with sound absorption and sound transmission loss test procedures.
The ideal candidate will exhibit the following:
• Personal integrity fitting for a scientific research facility; an individual contributor, who is self-motivated, and can work in a testing laboratory environment.
• A passion for acoustical engineering and materials science.
• Strong technical writing skills.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Acoustical, or Physics fields.
• Two years Acoustical engineering experience desired, but not required.
• Strong technical knowledge in acoustics from previous work experience, internship or college program.
• Demonstrates strong mathematical skills (Calculus II or higher desired)
• Expertise with modern acoustical test instrumentation and software. Familiarity with B&K pulse Labshop and 2270 Sound Level Meter is a plus.
• Proficiency with MS Office Applications including Excel, Access, and Word.
• You must be physically able to lift 30 pounds unassisted, climb stairs and ladders, as well as be able to hear audible sounds and have good visual acuity.
• Position requires travel on occasion (approximately 10-20%) to various areas in the US and military facilities.
• US Citizenship required and the ability to obtain a DOD Secret clearance should one be necessary.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Candidates can apply through the following process:
1. Go to http://www.alionscience.com/careers
2. Click “Search and Apply”
3. Search for Alion Job Opening ID: 31436
4. Select the Job Title “Associate Test Engineer (Acoustics)” near Geneva, Illinois
5. Click “Apply”
6. Complete the form and follow the instructions to upload your resume.
7. Follow any remaining instructions on the application
Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.