Steinway & Sons’
Location: Astoria, NY
P O S I T I O N D E S C R I P T I O N
|Title:||Acoustic/Mechanical Engineer||Department:||Boston & Essex|
|Location:||Astoria, NY||Position Type:||Full Time|
This position provides engineering support for Steinway & Sons’ Boston and Essex (B&E) piano lines, with particular focus both on piano acoustics and on the mechanical design of piano sub-assemblies.
- Analyze string scales.
- Learn piano scale design principles from theoretical tensional scaling and principles of piano construction to achieve the desired acoustic across the scale
- Develop test method for mechanically testing various piano components and sub-assemblies, e.g., pinblocks, capstans, etc.
- Test piano components.
- Design and build simple electro-mechanical devices for lab use.
- Study acoustic issues to find opportunities for improvements.
- Measure and analyze vibrations.
- Design custom tooling for CMM.
- Use CMM to measure and analyze downbearing.
- Use AutoDesk’s Inventor and AutoCAD software for design and analysis.
- Perform and assume other duties and responsibilities as may be required at the direction of engineering manager
Qualifications, education and experience:
- Degree in Acoustics and Engineering (bachelors or masters)
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering and product development principles and practice
- Experience building things out of wood, metal and electronics.
- 7+ years of proven engineering experience
- Fluency in use of CAD modeling tools
- Experience working in cross functional teams; strong team player
- Strong project management and problem solving skills
- Computer literate in MS Office products
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently with a strong bias toward action and driving results
- Able to multi-task effectively and to manage and meet multiple deadlines.
- Preferred: Piano playing ability
- Preferred: English, Mandarin, Cantonese and German language
- Strong sense of integrity.
Those interested in applying should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org